Adoption - Minor Petition
A birth certificate must be filed with the adoption petition.
If the child to be adopted was born after 1/1/1997 and the birth mother was not married to the birth father and no subsequent paternity determination was made after the birth of the child, the Court requires a Putative Father Registry Certification.
OHDS Form 1693 (PDF) (Ohio Law and Adoption Materials) may need to be filed and is to be completed by the adoption assessor and the birth parent(s).
If the minorwas born outside the state of Ohio, you will need to provide the court with the address of the Vital Statistics Dept. for the minor's birth state at the time of filing the petition.
- Stepparent Adoption Checklist
- Non-Stepparent Adoption Checklist
- 18.0 Petition for Adoption of Minor
- 18.1 Judgment Entry Setting Hearing and Ordering Notice
- 18.2 Notice of Hearing on Petition for Adoption
- Request for Ordinary Mail by Certificate of Mailing
- Order to Assessor
- 18.3 Consent to Adoption
- 18.4 Judgment Entry Finding Consent Not Required
- 18.5 Interlocutory Order of Adoption
- 18.6 Final Decree of Adoption after Interlocutory Order
- 18.7 Final Decree of Adoption without Interlocutory Order
- 18.8 Adoption Certificate for Parents
- HEA 2757 Vital Statistics Certificate of Adoption
- Vital Statistics Informational Form
- 18.9 Petitioner's Account
- Child's Residency Affidavit
- Petitioner's Information
- Petitioner's Affidavit
- Financial Sheet
- Statement of Adopted Person
To obtain a copy of corrected birth certificate if the minor was born in Ohio:
- Contact Miami County Public Health at (937) 573-3500 OR
- The Ohio Department of Health, Special Registration at (614) 466-2531
To obtain a copy of corrected birth certificate if the minor was born outside the state of Ohio:
- Contact the capital of the state where the minor was born for proper procedure