GovernmentServicesAbout UsBusinessHow Do I?
Click to Home

Go To Search

What We Accept

We collect all municipal solid waste and wood waste.

Yes, we can accept:

  • Appliances: You can throw out washers, dryers, ranges, and microwaves. Check with your hauler for large trash pickup rates, or bring these items to the Transfer Station. Many of these items can be recycled, so check with local scrap yards before throwing them out.
  • Christmas Trees: After the holidays, residents can bring in trees for free disposal; however, you may also check with your municipality or hauler for composting options.
  • Cooking Oil & Grease (if you are a resident): This material is not considered hazardous from a resident. This can be thrown into the garbage if it is solidified in absorbent or kitty litter. Restaurants looking to dispose of oil and grease can contact Restaurant Technologies, Inc. in Cincinnati at 513-942-7401, or G.A. Wintzer & Son at 1-800-331-1801.
  • Computers: Under Ohio EPA guidelines, household computer systems can be mixed into the regular trash, but some haulers will not accept them. You can bring computers to Miami County’s Electronics Recycling Drop-Offs to have the items recycled. Or, take your computer and related equipment to goodwill.
  • Lancets and syringe needles: Residents disposing of sharps need to put them in a rigid plastic container such as a detergent bottle with an attached lid. Duct tape the lid and label the container with "Sharps". The container should not go into the recycling container. You can drop off sharps at two locations:
    • The Sanitary Engineering building - 2200 N. County Road 25A in Troy
    • Miami County Public Health - 510 W. Water St. Suite 130 in Troy
  • Latex Paint: Latex paint can be disposed of at home by drying out containers that are less than half full. Add kitty litter or sawdust to the paint, stir it up, and in a few days it will be dry. Then the container (with the lid off) can be placed with regular garbage. 
  • Window glass: Put it in a box labeled “Broken Glass,” and tape the box closed before putting it out with your garbage. Never place window glass in the recycling container.
  • Wood waste: We can’t take items over 8 feet in length or 2 feet in diameter, so cut down large branches or beams. At the Transfer Station, tree waste will go to a composter, but other wood waste goes to the landfill.

Special fees or regulations exist for:

  • Animal carcasses: There is no special fee, but an Animal Carcass Certification form must be filled out by the customer.
  • Air conditioning units and dehumidifiers: Air conditioners and dehumidifiers can be taken to the Transfer Station. There is a $10 Freon® removal fee along with charges for the weight of the trash.
  • Appliances: Freezers and refrigerators can be brought to the Miami County Transfer Station. There is a charge by weight as well as a $10 charge for Freon removal for refrigerators, freezers, dehumidifiers and air conditioners.
  • Boats: Boats can be disposed of at the Miami County Transfer Station at a charge for the weight of the boat, but the title will need to accompany the boat. The Transfer Station will mail the title to the Ohio Division of Natural Resources – Watercraft Division. There is also an ODNR form that the customer needs to fill out for disposal.
  • Fluorescent light bulbs: Residents may dispose of up to 10 fluorescent light bulbs
  • Tires: Passenger tires are $3 each, truck tires are $6 each and tractor tires are $20 each. There is also a charge for the weight.

We cannot accept:

Asbestos: Disposal of NESHAP (National Emission Standards for Hazardous Waste Pollutants) Regulated Asbestos materials may only be disposed of at state approved disposal sites in an approved manner. The closest facility is the Stony Hollow Landfill in Dayton; reach them that facility at (800) 343-6047.

Any questions on asbestos on the handling or disposal of asbestos should be directed to RAPCA (Regional Air Pollution Control Agency) in Dayton at 937-225-4435.

Explosives or ammunition: Call your local law enforcement for proper disposal of explosives and ammunition.

Grass clippings: Check with your trash hauler for information on yard waste.

Liquids of any kind.

Household Hazardous Waste: The following items should be brought to Miami County’s Household Hazardous Waste drop-offs. You’ll find dates for upcoming drop-offs on the SED’s Events page. The cost to dispose of these items is $1 per pound  - so remember to buy only what you need when shopping for these hazardous products!

  • Acetone
  • Acids
  • Aerosol cleaners
  • Ammonia-based cleaners
  • Antifreeze
  • Auto polish
  • Starter fluids
  • Base chemicals
  • Brake fluid
  • Weed and brush killer
  • Car wax
  • Carburetor cleaner
  • Contact cement
  • Drain cleaner
  • Driveway sealer
  • Epoxy
  • Etching chemicals
  • Fertilizers
  • Fungicide
  • Furniture polish
  • Gasoline
  • Glues
  • Ink or toner
  • Insect killer
  • Kerosene
  • Lighter Fluid
  • Mercury
  • Mothballs
  • Motor Oil
  • Paint remover
  • Paint, oil- or lead-based
  • Pesticides
  • Pool chemicals
  • Rat, mouse or gopher poison
  • Shellac
  • Solvents
  • Stain
  • Varnish
  • Wallpaper remover
  • Weed killer